FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Revised: May 2021
The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for successfully managing the construction projects assigned to them. This position has the responsibility for day-to-day management of project operations including client relationships, subcontractor and staff management. This position ensures the job is completed on time, on budget, safely, and with quality in partnership with the Project Superintendent.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The following duties are representative of the job but are not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Act as a steward of Pence culture – Who We Are
- Uphold and communicate Pence safety standards
- Proactive, self-starting, self-managing
- Takes ownership for the project
- Behaves in a manner that sets a positive example for others to follow
- Makes day to day decisions that enhance profitability without sacrificing our values or relationships
- Grow and mentor Project Assistants, Interns and Project Engineers
- Responsible for mitigating and reporting project risk
- Follow all policies and procedures and assure others do as well
- Participates in meetings and committees
Job Start Up
- Nurture positive relationships with owners, architect, etc.
- Understand owner contract requirements
- Perform a constructability review in partnership with Project Superintendent.
- Work in partnership with estimating and Sr PM for bidding in sub market and GMP development.
- Develop project schedule in partnership with Project Superintendent, identifying key risks within the schedule i.e. long lead procurement items, etc.
- Write and review contractual obligations
- Verify permitting, local licenses and approvals to begin job
- Ensure all project insurances, including builder’s risk and bonds, are obtained to begin job
- Partner with Project Superintendent to ensure project start up requirements are met
- Active involvement in pre-construction process relating to estimating, bidding, project logistics and similar responsibilities
Managing Active Jobs
- Understand, identify and manage project risk and profitability
- Proactively assess the project team in relation to what the project needs to shore up deficiencies
- Resolve the budget in its entirety into scopes of work and executed contracts while improving the profitability of the project
- Understand all current cost expenditures and forecast all cost projections.
- Manage QA/QC process for project in partnership with the Project Superintendent
- Prepare and present accurate monthly project reviews
- Manage project documentation processes
- Understand all specifications and drawing requirements
- Manage submittal process
- Manage RFI process in partnership with the Project Superintendent
- Manage project specific owner insurance obligations
- Manage procurement process, including buyout
- Manage change management process
- Set up and coordinate weekly job meetings and minutes
- Review outside inspection reports
- Manage project cash flow
- Manage monthly owner billing process
- Review and approve monthly invoices from subcontractors and suppliers
- Produce job status reports and profit projections
- Maintain project schedules, quality and safety, in partnership with Project Superintendent
- Manage delivery of closeout documents and owner training
- Implement 1-year warranty and manage activities throughout warranty period
- Create and process final change orders
- Produce final cost accounting for job
- Manage punch list process
- In concert with project Superintendent, obtain final sign off from all AHJ agencies
- Identify contractual substantial completion requirements and obtain notices for substantial and final completion
- Protect project lien rights
- Initiate post closeout review
Any and all other duties as assigned.
The following qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform the job but are not all inclusive.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering Management or similar degree
- In lieu of degree commensurate experience in Construction field is acceptable
- At least 6 years of applicable commercial construction management experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with construction software platforms
- At least 2 years of experience leading project teams
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Computer literate with excellent Excel, Word and Outlook skills
- Excellent command of critical path scheduling
- Complete understanding of plan specifications, scopes of work, and other necessary construction documents to ensure job is completed as expected.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to work within tight deadlines and stressful situations.
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
- Can work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Can work successfully in a fast-paced, high energy environment
- Advanced critical thinking and judgment skills
- Must have, or complete within six months of hire, CPR and first aid certifications and OSHA 10 training.
- Must be available to work flexible hours. Work hours will be consistent with a Project Manager in the construction industry.
Works occasionally in a typical office environment but primary job station is on job sites where work is done in a job trailer or outside in a construction environment. May be exposed to weather, dirt/dust, loud noise, and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Is required to lift 25lbs regularly and 50lbs occasionally. Must be able to work for long periods of time in front of a computer.
Our philosophy is simple. The foundation of our success is rooted in the skills and talents of our people and their commitment to who we are. Pence lives by a set of values and we look to our employees to keep those values in everything they do. On your first day at Pence, you will learn about those values and how we live them straight from our owners.
Founded in 1949 by Dale Pence, in Salem Ore., Pence Construction has been passionate about building with integrity and quality for decades. With many long-standing client relationships and lengthy employee tenure, Pence is a trusted partner to our clients.
Formerly known as LCG Pence, Pence is owned by Paul Schulz and Dave Hays. With more than 150 employees currently, Pence serves a wide variety of clients from senior living, education, multi family housing, office, and more. We are looking for talented and value-oriented people to join us.